There seems to be a lot of benefits with beetroots, especially the organic ones, apparently, beetroots are a rich supply of iron and vitamins! Quite the right veggie for a woman, my mom used to nag a lot for me to have beets as a kid, but for some strange reason, I never liked beetroots, though there is this one special Srilankan curry my mom used to cook with pineapples and beets which were yummy! (Yes, I know I’ll get the recipe soon lol).
Anyways, to cut it short, I was quite hungry this afternoon and was wondering what I could make easily with the stuff I already had in my kitchen. I was craving for a bruschetta and obviously didn’t have the french bread but instead had some brown bread. And I noticed I still hadn’t used my organic beets, and then voila the idea of a ‘Beet Bruschetta toast‘ was born!
Beet Bruschetta toast
A quick and easy bruschetta toast.
- 1-2 medium organic beets
- 3 slices of brown bread
- 1 medium red onion (Chopped)
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1 spring onion (Chopped)
- 1 garlic pod (half cut)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cream cheese enough to spread on bread slices
- Pour olive oil into pan and add cumin seeds
- Once the cumin seeds splutter add the chopped red onions and green onions
- When the onions are translucent add the beets and stir well and cook for 5 minutes
- Apply generously margarine onto both sides on the toast, and pan toast them
- Once the bread is toasted well, rub a (half cut) garlic pod onto the front side of the toasted bread.
- Apply the cream cheese on the garlic-rubbed the side of the toast, and a dollop of the cooked beets and add a coriander leaf on top.