Due to popular demand and numerous Instagram requests, I am posting this recipe of Soya Bean Curry which my mom used to cook for me. I remember her tricking me into eating soya beans as a kid convincing me they were chicken chunks since I was a picky eater.. until I found out they were just soya bean chunks (Dad finally telling me and everyone at home finding this very humorous..) I realized I had a mastermind mother! The lies our mothers say to get us to eat our food! LOL
While I’m not a big fan of soya beans, my hubby loves it when I cook him some soya chunks with white rice, I did want to post this recipe on my blog but for some reason, I kept forgetting!
Ok, let’s get straight to the recipe, shall we!
SOYA BEAN CURRY
An easy and healthy recipe, great for vegetarians!.
- 2 cups soya beans/chunks
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium-sized red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1-inch ginger finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- firstly, boil soya chunks for 8 minutes and transfer to a bowl of cold water.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes and squeeze completely and keep aside.
- In a large heated pan, add oil and cumins and bay leaf, fry till aromatic
- Add ginger and garlic, saute well till the smell or rawness goes off
- Add onion and saute well till transparent
- Add the spices (turmeric, Kashmiri chili, garam masala and coriander powder, and saute well till the spices are absorbed well.
- Add salt
- Add the tomato paste, sauteed well, to this add the squeezed soya chunks and mix well, making sure the soya has absorbed all the spices
- Add the coconut milk, if needing more gravy add 1/4 cup water to the gravy
- Check for taste (Add more salt if required)
- Cook for 10 minutes
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with (Rice, bread, roti or chapati) goes well with any bread.