DUBAI, 20 October 2021 – A look ahead to the major events of Wednesday, 20 October at Expo 2020 Dubai
Space Week until 23 October
Space travel and exploration have captured imaginations for generations, and outer space remains one of our few truly shared resources. During this fascinating week, Expo highlights the latest innovations in space research and travel, while also providing a platform to discuss critical issues. The Theme Week is organized in partnership with the Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre and the UAE Space Agency.
Panama National Day
- The flag ceremony will take place at 1015 in Al Wasl Plaza
- Media briefing at 1100 in the Panama Pavilion
SPACE WEEK (17-23 October)
Programme for People and Planet
- Space: Where the World Comes Together for Progress is hosted in collaboration with the UAE Space Agency, the Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre as well as co-curated partners from Italy and Sweden
- The event will focus on fostering leadership, creativity, and interdisciplinary global cooperation.
- Participants include the Philippines Space Agency, NASA, Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre, JAXA, Yahsat, and Arizona State University
- 0930 – 1700, DEC 2A Hall South
Women’s World Majlis: Mission Equality: Expanding Equal Opportunities in the Space Economy
- Space economy could be the next trillion-dollar industry by 2040. How do we ensure that women share the opportunities equally and fully participate in shaping this new market?
- Shelli Brunswick, Chief Operating Officer, Space Foundation, US
- Simonetta Di Pippo , Director, United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), Italy
- Naoko Yamazaki, Former JAXA astronaut, Space Policy Committee member, second Japanese woman in space
- Marcos Pontes, Minister Of Science, Technology, Innovation, and Communications, Brazil
- 1500 – 1630, Women’s Pavilion
Visions and Journeys
- The Women’s Pavilion will be hosting inspirational talks and fireside chats tackling gender stereotypes towards an equal future
- 1800 – 1900, Women’s Pavilion
Fireside Chats at the Women’s Pavilion
- Simonetta Di Pippo, Director of the UN Office of Outer Space Affairs and Marcos Pontes, Brazil’s Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation will share their views on how women succeed in STEM careers, using space data and applications to increase gender equality and women’s empowerment
- 1100 – 1200, Women’s Pavilion
Kids Fest by the Russia Pavilion
- Featuring a packed programme of exciting performances and engaging activities, Kids Fest is a must-see event for kids and their parents.
- Finalists from TV shows including Voice Children and the Blue Bird
- Performers include young Russian stars Taya Skomorokhova, Maxim Putin, Alina Sansyzbay, Varya Butko, the Harry Potter Choir (20 artists) and a special guest – fifteen-year-old singer Vanya Dmitrenko!
- 1600, Jubilee Park, Expo
- Emerging Space @ Expo 2020, panel discussion on building space ecosystems in developing countries, 1500-1600, BPA Speaker’s Corner
- World Majlis | Hope and Perseverence: Lessons Learnt from the Red Planet for Life on Earth, 1600-1800, Terra Auditorium
- NASA’s Mars Exploration Programme: The Red Planet, Dr Michael A Meyer, NASA lead scientist, on the latest developments and findings, 1300-1400, USA Pavilion
- Space: Where the World Comes Together for Progress, discussion on the economic benefits of the space sector, 1000-1830, DEC, Hall 2A South
- Kenya’s Mashujaa Day Celebrations, ‘Mashujaa’ means ‘Heroes’, the day commemorates fallen heroes, 1000-1200, Kenya Pavilion, Opportunity District
- Youth in Space Golden Record 2.0: Eternal Echo, International Space University students present their research, 1130-1200, USA Pavilion
- Lithuania National Day, 1015, Al Wasl Plaza
- Outlier Series | Women and Career Progression: How to Fully Harness Human Potential, spotlight on women’s careers in the 21st century, 1300-1900, Women’s Pavilion
- Late Nights @ Expo, local and international artists perform, 2230-0100, Dubai Millennium Ampitheatre
- XYZ – Electronic Opera Fantasy, short musical performance, 1330-1400, Sun Stage
Expo’s full calendar is available here