I’m sure we all are guilty of having tons of unnecessary junk in our handbags at some point in time. I always wondered why my bag at times was so heavy, but never had the time to properly check and go through the contents of my bag. This used to get me agitated and stressful when busy running my errands or during my events, shoots or grocery shopping, Imagine the strain my shoulders go through?
That’s when I decided to do a thorough clean..a complete detox.. a handbag detox.
Have you heard of the word handbag detox? Basically, it’s cleaning up your bag and detoxing from unnecessary stuff that is not required. Detoxing your handbag will not only save your time but also help lower your stress levels.
How to detox your bag?
Heres a few simple steps to follow.
1. CLEAR ITEMS OUT OF BAG
– Lay a sheet or an old newspaper on your table.
– Empty you’re and shake your bag well upside down onto the table (Make sure to first remove fragile items out to prevent any damages)
2. CLEAN YOUR BAG
*Always spot test a cleaning method before you use it.*
– Mix a small amount of liquid soap to warm water and use a soft damp cloth to wipe away the dirt from the outside of your handbag.
– Use a professional leather cleaning agent on tougher dirt, these don’t need to be rinsed out, they may be pricey but so much more effective.
* DO NOT use wet wipes vinegar or any other ‘home remedy’ for cleaning or stain removal.
* DO NOT use water on grease stains
Many of these products have chemicals and substances in them that can cause damage to the color, dry the leather out, create a buildup of grease in the leather and many other problems.”
3. DEODORIZE YOUR BAG (If required, if not you can skip this step)
Put an open container of baking powder carefully inside your bag, place your bag into a dustbag or pillow case and leave for 24 hours. The baking powder should absorb any unwanted odors.
4. SORT YOUR ITEMS
Sort everything into piles such as:
- Things I need every day
- Things I require once a week
- Things I hardly use
Only put back the things you can’t do without every day.
Using a handbag organizer will help items stop falling to the bottom and make it easier to find stuff. Use separate compartments, for receipts, makeup, phone chargers etc.
If you don’t have a handbag organizer, stuff in a mini clutch, and add your important and favorite things inside this. So whenever you require any of these items, all you have to do is remove this clutch to take them. (Makes it so easier than dig your hands into your bag and search)
Now weigh your bag before and after to see how much lighter it is. You will feel much more relaxed and somehow notice a big change in your mood as well, this process doesn’t just leave you happy and positive but also keeps your bag happy!
A few tips to care for your handbag
1. Don’t leave your handbag in direct sunlight… it can cause the color to fade and damage the leather
2. Don’t wear light color handbags with dark clothing as the dye from the clothing may run and transfer to the handbag damaging the color.
3. If your bag comes with a dust bag, do use it. These aren’t just for pretty packaging – they keep your bags dust-free when not used. If you don’t have a dust bag an old pillowcase will do.
4. Keep your bag stuffed while you’re not using it… to help keep its shape better.
Remember even the most minimalist among us will accumulate stuff — receipts, tickets, the usual debris. Do a weekly detox of your handbag and, once a month, after tidying everything out, switch bags to another one from your cupboard, sometimes even our handbags need a vacay! lol.